The Student News Site of Northern Michigan University

The North Wind

The North Wind

The North Wind

Meet the Staff
Mackayle Weedon
Mackayle Weedon
Social Media Editor

My name is Makaylee! I am going to be a senior majoring in Social Media Design Management. I am apart of the Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority chapter on campus! I love thrifting, photography, skiing and going...

The North Wind Editorial Sessions
About us

The North Wind is an independent student publication serving the Northern Michigan University community. It is partially funded by the Student Activity Fee. The North Wind digital paper is published daily during the fall and winter semesters except on university holidays and during exam weeks. The North Wind Board of Directors is composed of representatives of the student body, faculty, administration and area media.

Opinion-- A list of regrets before I graduate
Opinion-- A list of regrets before I graduate
Sal WiertellaMarch 1, 2024

Pipes pose problems

Residents in Hunt Hall had an unexpected surprise when water made its way into their residences on Saturday, Dec. 1.

A failure in the attic sprinkler system caused water to leak and saturate the insulation on top of the building. The water made its way down into three student rooms, a TV room, storage rooms and into the mechanical room.

“It took us about five to six hours before it was at a point where we could comfortably leave it,” said Director of Housing and Residence Life, Carl Holm.

According to Holm, the incident was caused by a failure to drain the water completely from the attic system after it had been tested. Because only parts of the attic are heated, the remaining water froze, causing damage to the pipe system. The recent warm weather that hit Marquette last week caused the ice to thaw and no longer plug the weaknesses in the pipes.

Story continues below advertisement

The contractor in charge of the sprinkler system responded immediately on Saturday, Dec. 1 to make a temporary repair, followed by a permanent solution that was finished Tuesday, Dec. 4, according to Travis Reamer, assistant director for facilities.

According to Holm, the next step is to remove the saturated insulation from the attic, let the attic dry out and then put in new insulation. Buildings with similar sprinkler systems will be tested soon to ensure that a similar problem does not happen.
“We’re not aware of any property damages to student furnishings,” Reamer said.

Of the three resident rooms that had water problems, the largest water saturation was in the carpet of a room on the third floor. As of yet, Reamer said no one has reported any damage to personal property, but students are encouraged to contact them if they find damaged items.

According to Holm, students are told in orientation sessions to insure their items before attending school, though many do not. Typically, the university is not responsible for covering any damage to personal property, but it can vary depending on the situation.

“Students are expected to have insurance on their property,” Holm said.

According to resident director (RD) of Hunt Hall Rhian Smith, several RDs and resident directors (RA) as well as members of Public Safety and the Housing Office all responded to the incident.

“Housing really pulled together really fast,” Smith said. “We’re pretty much put back together.”

Smith said she is grateful for the support and help from everyone on campus that was involved with the incident.

More to Discover