The Student News Site of Northern Michigan University

The North Wind

The North Wind

The North Wind

Meet the Staff
Megan Voorhees
Megan Voorhees
Assistant News Editor

Hi! I’m Megan Voorhees and I’m the Assistant News Editor at The Northwind! I was first introduced to journalism my sophomore year of high school and I’ve been in love with the profession and writing...

The North Wind Editorial Sessions
About us

The North Wind is an independent student publication serving the Northern Michigan University community. It is partially funded by the Student Activity Fee. The North Wind digital paper is published daily during the fall and winter semesters except on university holidays and during exam weeks. The North Wind Board of Directors is composed of representatives of the student body, faculty, administration and area media.

Photo Courtesy of NMU Mens Lacrosse
MLAX gears up to take on NIU Huskies at GLLL Championship Tournament
Caden SierraApril 24, 2024
Pizza Cat Vol. 10
Pizza Cat Vol. 10
April 23, 2024

Local photographer presents work at cafe

When most people go into L’Attitude for a cup of coffee, a glass of wine or a meal, they don’t expect to be able to check out an art gallery as well. But this change is exactly what the café-bistro is offering.
On the last Friday of every month, L’Attitude will be showcasing a different artist and their work in a series called “Meet the Artist.” Last month featured the industrial and nature-inspired work of Marcus Mason, and this month will feature the photography of Kyle Miron.
Miron used his trip through Scotland as a way to take photos of the more memorable locations around the country.
“I traveled the country in an unconventional way. I did it through a Web site called www.couchsurfing.com,” Miron said. “I set up 10 different couches with 10 different strangers. I asked all these people to take me to the places in town that they would go.”
Miron said that he’s most excited to be able to share what he went through and the photographs he took with his friends, family and peers. He’ll be presenting some of his photography on a 30 minute slide show.
“There are just amazing moments that’ll never be able to be recreated. I was in the oldest Catholic ruins in the entire world,” Miron said.
When Miron isn’t taking pictures around the world, he’s here in Marquette working mainly as a photographer for weddings, although he’ll soon be packing his bags once again when travels to Thailand with Aoy LaChapelle of The Rice Paddy. There Miron will be documenting LaChapelle as she gives the tips and donations she’s acquired over the year to schoolchildren in need.
Miron said he got the idea to do this when he was a photographer for LaChapelle’s wedding this past summer.
“Aoy was more in the moment than any bride I’ve ever photographed. It brought tears to my eyes because she had total control over how she was feeling,” Miron said. “I didn’t want that type of feeling to end so I think that was the catalyst for wanting to follow and photograph her for even longer.”
While Miron is currently the second artist to be a part of their “Meet the Artist” series, L’Attitude’s event coordinator Joanna Kurtz said the idea to turn 46 Degrees, their private event space, into an area for more than just private parties came from a customer.
“The idea of having an art display came from a loyal customer and friend of L’Attitude who had a friend looking to display his artwork in the area,” Kurtz said. “We also wanted to give people something to do in Marquette that is free and different.”
An art gallery is not exactly a new thing to be introduced into Marquette. But Kurtz thinks 46 Degrees brings an interesting vibe to the city and has heard so from people who have attended.
“At the first exhibit, I heard from multiple people that they felt like they were in a big city, yet they were right here in Marquette,” Kurtz said. “It’s neat for people to feel like they get to do things that one might do in Chicago or Minneapolis, [but] for free.”
Kurtz also likes the fact that gives people a chance to see a different place in Marquette, as well as meet some new people and view artwork.
Those looking to become the next featured artist need only to contact Kurtz, who also noted that next month is not yet booked.
“What we really want each month … is somebody that is passionate about what they do and has something to offer different types of people in Marquette,” Kurtz said. “I want each month to be a different kind of art, anything from jewelry to sculpture to photographs to woodworking. There really are no special requirements.”
General manager Michael Neuseer also has a role in the exhibit and described last month’s exhibit as having a great turnout and thinks it is a good opportunity for local artists to show their work.
“We had a lot of people who were very interested in it. It [also] gives artists [an opportunity] who don’t have a lot of money to rent space or open up their own gallery,” Neuseer said.
“Meet the Artist” will run the last Friday of every month and admission is free with complimentary hors d’oeuvres. Drinks will be available at 46 Degrees bar. Miron’s photography will be showcased this Friday, Feb. 27 from 7 to 10 p.m.